I’m Katie, a devoted wife, mom of five wonderful and lively kiddos, an author, speaker, podcast host, and songwriter. I also coach creatives, under the name Inspiration Doula, helping others bring life to their God-given purpose and creative projects.
For almost forty years, I wandered around a spiritual desert trying to make it to the Promised Land of God’s acceptance. I carried around a weighty cosmetic bag, filled with determination, perfectionist tendencies, and self-righteousness, to try and make myself “good enough.” The harder I worked, the more weary I became.
Then, on a warm August day, in the midst of a phone call with a friend, God gave me a picture of grace that changed everything.
And I realized:
We don’t have to strive for that which we already have.
Even in the midst of a full life, we can rest within, because of what Christ has done for us. Through belief in Jesus’ finished work on the cross, we are freed from trying to earn that which has already been given to us as a gift. Salvation. Grace. Freedom. Position. Love.
For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast. For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.” Ephesians 2:8-10
My motivation for writing, speaking, podcasting, songwriting, and coaching is to inspire you to live out your purpose with tenacity and grace—as you walk in freedom, with godly wisdom.
What does that like look? Well, I’m glad you asked.
Your to-do list has value, but it does not determine your value.
- Exchange try-hard striving for hope-filled freedom
- Discover how to get unstuck in areas that hold you back
- Be inspired to take the next step in living out your unique purpose
- Receive encouragement to rest in God’s presence, even when your hands are busy
- Enjoy life more as you incorporate play and fun into your to-do list
- Stand on the wisdom of God’s Word as you faithfully steward the sacred assignments (the people and the projects) He has entrusted to you
My first book, Made Like Martha: Good News for the Woman Who Gets Things Done, is all about this newfound freedom. Join the Made Like Martha Sisterhood for curated content to help you exchange striving for settledness and panic for peace. Access the Made Like Martha Bible Reading Plan on YouVersion.
My second book, A Very Bavarian Christmas, is an inspirational rom com about 30-something, Holly Noel Brigham, who works through fractured relationships and embarrassing misunderstandings, while stumbling upon love in the German-themed town of Bavarian Falls. There is an accompanying musical album to the novel, featuring songs from Olivia Newton-John, and there is a movie, based on the story, in production.
I’m a first born who married a first born. Thankfully, my husband is a Mr. Steady, laid back and patient, as I learn to unwind. Our five kids make us laugh and keep us on my toes and we wouldn’t have it any other way.
We make our home in Michigan (I like the warm months and Hubby is a big fan of the snow). I’m a fan of musicals, stirring ballads, inspiring movies, and local restaurants. I’m also an idea gal who enjoys improving things. Cut-to-the-chase conversations over hot or iced tea is my idea of fun.
- One time, Bill Murray echoed the words of my mother and told me not to slouch—I’ve been working on it ever since. 🙂
- I used to be a Secondary Special Education teacher before I had kids.
- I am 25% Swedish, from my dad’s side.
- I’m often told I look like Jennifer Garner—makes my day every time!
- I know the whole McDonald’s menu song and may have sung it once when I went through the drive-thru.
It is a joy to speak across the country and encourage others. For more information on speaking topics, availability, and speaking fees, head over here.
Other Places You Can Find Me:
Stop! Hammock Time:
Adam and I used to co-host the popular (and quirky) show, “Stop! Hammock Time.” We broadcasted live and encouraged couples to get closer and grow deeper. We still facilitate the “Hammock Time Hangout Hub” Facebook Group for those who want to receive additional resources to strengthen their marriage. Join this vibrant community as we laugh, learn, and talk about #it.