Back-to-school season is in full swing, so Lee and I are providing some tips to help you navigate this busy season, and even thrive in the midst of it.
Access Episode 10 on your favorite podcast app. You can also listen to the latest episode over here, on our podcast webpage.
Disclosure: Affiliate links are used in this post. If you choose to purchase through the links, I may be compensated at no additional cost to you. See full disclosure policy.
Show Notes for Episode #10: Back-to-School Tips
Back-to-school season is an exciting (and stressful!) time. From backpack selections, to endless supply lists, Katie and Lee unpack simple tips to help you parent with intention and grace as the school year starts.
Theme music: “Driven” from Katie Reid’s “Echoes of My Heart” Album. https://www.katiemreid.com/singer/
Things We Talk About:
- Crayola Twistables Crayons
- ESPRIT Backpack (a different one than Lee’s white one)
- Under Armour Backpack
- Episode #7: The Power of Prayer
- Moms in Prayer Groups
- Lower Expectations: It takes time to adjust to a new routine.
- Clear Expectations: What will your kids do and what will you do? For example: Have your kids pack their lunch the night before.
- Notes in Lunch Box: Tuck an encouraging note in their lunch or backpack to remind your child that you care.
- Commitment to Teachers: “I have your back. Come to me if there are problems. I am for you.” Send an encouraging note or flowers from Aldi.
- Intentional Questions & Space: Ask one or two open-ended questions about the school day, but give them space to transition after the school day too.
- Snacks: Kids are hungry after school, have a snack ready.
- Something special to wear: Whether it be from a garage sale, thrift store, or elsewhere, help your child find something special to wear as they return to school. This can boost their confidence and give them something to look forward to.
Open-ended questions to ask your kids at the end of the school day:
- Who did you sit next to at lunch, today?
- What did you do during recess?
- Which class do you think will be the hardest?
- What is something you are looking forward to, this school year?
- What should I anticipate this week from you?
- What is something I can pray about for you?
Show Sponsor: Kristin Funston: Speaker + Author of More for Mom: Living Your Whole and Holy Life
Connect with Kristin over on her website: kristinfunston.com
Featured Resource: Let’s link arms instead of pointing fingers, Mama. (Katie’s article on TODAY’s Parenting Blog. Vote up on this post, on TODAY, so more mamas can be encouraged).
Today’s Verse: Proverbs 9:9
Instruct the wise and they will be wiser still; teach the righteous and they will add to their learning.”
Our Hashtag: #marthamaryshow
Episode Producer: Jeanna Lesausky
We want to see your back-to-school pictures! Tag us on Instagram or Facebook and use the hashtag #marthamaryshowGive your kids buffer space as they come into the school day and out of the school day. @leenienhuis #marthamaryshow Click To Tweet